This instructor-led course will provide students with the fundamentals of ASL by learning about handshapes, facial expressions, vocabulary, syntax, semantics, and common phrases that enable individuals to participate in beginning signed conversations. This course will also focus on awareness of the Deaf and hard of hearing communities and culture. The textbook for this course (pictured on this page) is available in the HACC Bookstore: ISBN 978-1646116423.
- Utilize basic signs and phrases
- Initiate conversations and introductions
- Ask “yes/no” questions and respond with facial expression
- Analyze grammar behind two types of questions and understand the benefits of having differing communication formats
- Use scripted dialogue
- Understand the culture of the Deaf and hard of hearing communities
- Culture and linguistic styles of Deaf and hard of hearing communities
- Introducing yourself and learning others' names
- Signing the alphabet
- Learning basic question words/phrases
- Learning how to use facial expressions to enhance communication
Feel free to email us with any questions you have!
Price: $189 + textbook fee
Format: Live, remote instructor-led class
Please note that a working camera is an integral part of participating in this course. Textbook available for purchase online or in the HACC Bookstore: ISBN 978-1646116423.
Online course registration and payments are limited to one per person.